With the preliminary contract in hand, it’s time to get to the real task of creating business relationships—negotiating and closing the deal! Architecture or engineering firm Project Managers should be active participants in negotiations for the following four reasons:
- The Project Manager who is involved in preparing the proposal is the person in the firm most familiar with the scope of work and the level of effort required to complete the project. This knowledge is invaluable in explaining budgets and negotiating potential modifications to the original scope.
- Being present in the negotiating session provides the Project Manager with critical information regarding risk, insurance, and compensation terms of the contract.
- Involvement in negotiation enables the Project Manager to make a higher level of commitment to the budget and schedule, as opposed to being handed a signed contract with instructions to “make it happen.”
- Participation during the negotiations demonstrates a symbolic “passing of the baton” from principal and/or marketing people to the Project Manager as the focal point for the client.
Negotiating contracts requires a unique set of management skills. This course teaches architecture and engineering professionals key skills including:
- How to negotiate a win-win contract
- Why you must negotiate concerns, not positions
- How to understand personal negotiating styles
- What often happens in various A/E/C negotiation scenarios
- The 12 traits of a good negotiator
- Scope versus bottom-line negotiations
- Five steps for planning for negotiations
- Eighteen essential negotiating rules
- Strategies to deal with negotiating tricks
DURATION: One Hour
CREDITS: This e-learning course is approved for 1 PDH.
COST: $95 (Only $47.50 for AECPMA members. Learn more about membership here)
GROUP TRAINING OPTIONS: Do you have a group of individuals who would benefit from this course? Contact us for details on special group pricing and other options to make team learning easy and affordable!
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: PSMJ’s e-learning courses are built with proven strategies and tactics to make you more successful. If the skills and tools you acquire don’t make a positive difference in the way you manage projects, just let us know and we’ll refund your fee. Every penny. No questions asked.